Skip to Content

Being Real

This morning when I woke up, I had a bad headache on the right side of my head. I immediately had to do what I always have to do first thing in the morning these days – run to the bathroom! Mike was getting ready to get up at this time, but I crawled back into bed and went back to sleep for a few minutes. When I got up again, I took some Tylenol and hoped for the best.

By the time I left for work, I was feeling a little better. But as soon as I started driving, my eyes started feeling heavy. It was so so hard to keep them open. I don’t know if it was because it was dark outside again or because of the loss of my hour from Daylight Savings time, but I was having a really hard time this morning.

When I got onto the interstate, I actually rolled down the window a little bit to try to liven myself up. It messed up my hair, but it didn’t help much. I was just having a hard time driving 70 miles per hour because it just felt way too fast for my drowsy state.

When I got a little past halfway to work, the traffic stopped because two firetrucks were in the road working a car fire. As I went past, I happened to look over at the car and it was totally burned out and nobody was inside. I felt a pang in my chest and immediately started to get teary-eyed. I was thinking “What would I do if my car caught on fire with my kids inside??” Oh my goodness, what a terrifying thought.

(Ring .. Ring … Hello? Honey, we have GOT to buy a new car TODAY. No, not tomorrow. Today. Like right now. I don’t want my babies to burn up in a car!)

Gotta love those emotional and irrational thoughts. It was really not a fun drive to work today.

When I got to work, I went straight to the vending machine to get a diet coke. I usually don’t drink sodas during the day, but I needed some caffeine to perk me up a little bit. My doctor said that caffeine is okay in moderation so I try to do that. Now, I don’t know if my Route 44 diet coke from Sonic last week would be technically considered “in moderation”, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. But I digress …

Our department has a Monday morning meeting every week so I took my caffeine to sip during the meeting. Unfortunately, it didn’t really seem to help very much. I had just given my weekly recap and listed out a baker’s dozen of projects that I needed to work on this week. And then every person in the room had “just one more thing” that they wanted me to “work in” this week. Really? Are you kdding me? I guess I gave them all a nasty look because they sorta backed off and said “ya know, but do whatever you want”. Ha ha! That’ll teach them to mess with a hormonal pregnant woman!!!

So that was my day in a nutshell – the good, the bad, and the ugly.

How did your day-after Daylight Savings go?