Coconut Turnovers are an authentic treat from Barbados. With its warm brown sugar crust and delicious coconut filling, this pastry is perfect for breakfast or a mid-day snack. This recipe makes 20 lovely coconut turnovers.
This afternoon, Emily and I worked on an extra credit project for her social studies class.
She and a partner had to pick a country and put together a presentation on it and make a specialty dish that the country is known for.
Emily and her partner chose Barbados.
Her partner was out of town this weekend so I helped Emily with her dish.
She wanted to make Macaroni Pie, but I was not sure if they would have a way to keep it refrigerated at school and then heat it up at the appropriate time so we picked another dish that could be served at room temperature.
We settled on Coconut Turnovers.
She had to make enough to serve her entire class so that was a pretty big project.
I thought they turned out great though.
The bun is really soft with a nice crunch sugary topping and the inside is sweet and warm. YUM!
For the Dough:
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz cold butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk, approx 110-115 degrees F
- ⅓ cup sugar water, dissolve sugar in water
- brown sugar
For the Filling:
- 2 cups grated or shredded coconut, fresh or frozen; NOT dried coconut
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Mix the flour and salt, then cut in the cold butter until you have a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- In a separate bowl, mix the white sugar, yeast and milk.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry, mixing to form a dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured board and knead gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, leave somewhere warm and let rise for about 1 hour (the dough should double in size).
- Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl, stirring well so that the sugar begins to dissolve and the mixture is moist. Set aside.
- Punch down the risen dough and lightly knead it for a minute. Cut the dough into 20 equal pieces. With each piece, roll into a 3-inch circle, place a heaping tablespoon of the filling in the center; spread the filling out to ½-inch from the edges. Lift one end of the dough to the other, folding and sealing the ends together. Form into a loaf shape.
- Place each turnover on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, seam-side down. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush turnovers with sugar water and sprinkle with brown sugar, then place in an oven preheated to 350F. After 18 minutes, brush again with sugar water, sprinkle with more brown sugar, and allow to bake for another 2-3 minutes. This will help develop a sugary crust. Remove from the oven and cool on racks for 15 minutes.
- Turnovers are best eaten warm.
Turnovers are best eaten warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g
Nutrition Information Provided For Educational and Informational Purposes Only.
Check out these other related recipes at GraceLikeRainBlog.com
Pecan Praline Cookies are a classic holiday favorite! These delicious, buttery pecan cookies have a distinct toasted pecan flavor that pairs wonderfully with their soft, chewy texture. Perfect for enjoying with coffee or tea, these treats will be sure to make your Christmas extra sweet!
Extra Moist Pumpkin Bread is the perfect solution to your autumn baking needs. It’s made with real pumpkin puree and a combination of sugar and spice and everything nice, making it incredibly delicious. The addition of coconut oil helps to keep the bread tender while still providing a great flavor. The texture is soft, light, and cake-like.
Our Instant Mashed Potatoes that Taste Homemade recipe Is a dream come true during the holidays. You can serve mashed potatoes for a crowd in minutes, and they won’t even know that the potatoes came from a box. Enjoy the convenience and deliciousness without sacrificing the taste you love.