Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole is chock full of ham, cheese, tater tots, and eggs. It’s just like eating a ham and cheese omelet only better.
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen tater tots
- 8 oz diced ham
- 3-4 cups mozzarella blend cheese, shredded
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (4.5 oz) green chiles
- 1 Tbsp Slap Ya Mama Seasoning
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9X13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add tater tots, shredded cheese, and diced ham to casserole dish. Mix well.
- Crack eggs into medium sized bowl and scramble slightly. Add seasonings and green chiles. Pour in milk then mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over tater tots, cheese, and ham making sure all ingredients are covered with the egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Key to Success #1 – Set a Firm Foundation
The base of this Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole is tater tots. They make a perfect substitute for hashbrowns and add great texture to this dish.
You can also use shredded hashbrowns or cubed breakfast potatoes, if you prefer.
Key to Success #2 – Make It Hammy and Cheesy
I prefer to use the diced ham in the refrigerated section of your supermarket but you can also use the canned diced ham if that’s all you can find. I like to use a full 8 oz package of ham because I love ham. Hammy, I am.
For the cheese, I like to use a mozzarella blend and not just plain mozzarella. Most of the time, the mozzarella blend has a mixture of mozzarella and provolone cheeses. You can also use cheddar cheese.
Key to Success #3 – Spice Things Up
Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning is a favorite at our house and I use it liberally in this recipe. I use a full tablespoon and sometimes I even sprinkle a little over the top of the casserole before it bakes.
A can of green chiles also adds nice flavor to this breakfast casserole. It’s optional but I like the southwest kick that it adds.
Great To Make Ahead
This is a great casserole to make ahead for your next breakfast or brunch. You can put it together the night before then let it chill out in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it the next morning.
It’s also wonderful when reheated in the microwave.