A tangy twist on a classic treat, this Lemon Poke Cake is perfect for any occasion. The moist cake is comprised of a light lemon-flavored sponge made with freshly squeezed lemons and a creamy mascarpone cheese topping. With a light and delicate texture, this cake is sure to be a hit with your friends and family. Allow the tangy lemon flavor to tantalize their taste buds and leave everyone wanting more.
Are you ready to tantalize your tastebuds with a delicious dessert that’s sure to become a family favorite?
If so, I’ve got just the treat for you: Lemon Poke Cake.
Packed full of bright and zesty flavors, this easy-to-make poke cake is guaranteed to turn any meal into something special.
Not only is it incredibly easy to prepare thanks in part to the ready-made lemon cake mix as its base, but it’s also irresistibly soft and moist.
Plus, not only can you enjoy this tasty treat yourself, but you can also give your friends and family a memorable baking experience by giving yours away!
So if you’re looking for an outstanding way to add fruit flavor to any baking session—welcome aboard my Lemon Poke Cake train!
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Start by Making a Moist and Tender Lemon Cak
A moist and tender Lemon Poke Cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion.
This recipe for a poke cake is a simple and easy-to-follow recipe that will leave your guests impressed.
The key to making a perfect lemon cake is to use freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest, which will give the cake a burst of bright citrus flavor.
A combination of butter and vegetable oil ensures the cake stays moist and tender.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vegetable oil, lemon zest, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
Add in the eggs, beating well.
Finally, add in the freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix until well combined.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk, until the batter is smooth and well combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Key to Success #2 – Poke Holes All Over the Cake
Poking holes in a Lemon Poke Cake is an essential step in making one of these delicious desserts.
The holes allow the sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice mixture to get all down into the cake, creating a moist, flavorful cake that melts in your mouth.
To poke holes in a poke cake, you will need to use either a skewer or the round end of a wooden spoon.
Start by lightly tapping each hole around two inches apart from one another over the entire surface of the cake.
While poking each hole, make sure to angle the tool slightly so that it reaches into the center of the cake.
Once all of the holes have been made, pour the sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice mixture over top of the cake and let it soak into each individual hole.
The sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice mixture should have soaked all down into each hole created in order to achieve maximum flavor and moisture throughout every bite!
Key to Success #3 – Make Mascarpone Whipped Topping
Mascarpone Whipped Topping is the perfect complement to a zesty Lemon Poke Cake.
To make this indulgent topping, start by whipping heavy cream into stiff peaks using an electric mixer.
Then, fold in creamy mascarpone cheese until fully combined.
This not only adds a velvety texture to the topping but also creates a wonderful depth of flavor that enhances the delicate lemon notes of the cake.
Additionally, adding a touch of sugar to the mixture will lend a subtle sweetness that balances out the tangy taste of the lemon.
Mascarpone cheese is an excellent flavor combination with lemon due to its mild and buttery taste.
Made from cream that’s been coagulated with an acidic agent like citric acid or vinegar, this soft cheese has a velvety texture and a rich, delicate flavor that taste buds can’t help but love.
Its versatility in enhancing other flavors makes it a favorite for many dessert recipes, and paired with the bold citrus notes of lemon, it creates a sensational balance of sweet and tart flavors.
This combination gives your taste buds a memorable experience that is both refreshing and satisfying all in one bite.
It’s important to note that before adding the mascarpone cheese to the sweetened whipped cream, it should be at room temperature.
This ensures that the cheese blends seamlessly into the mixture without causing lumps, and creates a smooth and silky texture for the topping.
Bringing the cheese to room temperature also helps to prevent it from separating or curdling, which could ruin the entire dish.
This crucial step will ensure that your Mascarpone Whipped Topping is perfect in every way and enhances the taste and texture of the Lemon Poke Cake.
Save this Lemon Poke Cake recipe to your favorite Lemon Desserts board or your Poke Cake Ideas board.
Lemon Poke Cake
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
For the Filling
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
For the Topping
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the oil, vanilla extract, and lemon zest and blend well. Mix in eggs until well combined. Blend in the 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice.
- On low speed, baking powder, baking soda, salt and half of the flour until just combined. Blend in the milk then the remaining flour. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and use a skewer or the round end of a wooden spoon to poke holes every inch or so across the cake, pressing about 2/3 of the way into the cake.
- In a small bowl, blend together the sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice and pour the mixture over the hot cake. Try to get as much of the filling as you can into the holes.
- Allow the cake to cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the lemon mascarpone whipped cream, start by whipping the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Add the mascarpone cheese, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and blend until smooth and silky. Spread or pipe the topping over the cooled cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 317mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 7g
Nutrition Information Provided For Educational and Informational Purposes Only.