Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings are a delicious homemade dinner that can be cooked entirely in the Instant Pot. If you are looking for comfort food, this is what you need to try!
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Use Chicken Breasts with Bones and Skin
One of the most important keys to this Chicken and Dumplings recipe is to use fresh chicken breasts with skin and bones and attached.
Many times, these are called “split chicken breasts” at the grocery store.
The bones and skin really add a lot of flavor to the chicken broth that is created when you pressure cook the chicken breasts.
Without the skin and bones, you would need to use commercially prepared chicken broth in place of at least some of the water.
If you have a 6-quart Instant Pot, fill the inner pot at least half full so that you will have enough broth to cook the dumplings.
You’ll also want to salt the water when you’re cooking the chicken.
I would suggest using at least 1 teaspoon of salt in the water but you may use more if desired.
The salt is needed to add loads of flavor to your chicken and dumplings.
Key to Success #2 – Make the Dumpling Dough in the Food Processor
It’s super easy to make this dumpling dough if you have a food processor.
I have a Ninja blender/food processor from several years ago that is no longer sold in stores but this one is similar.
Put all the dry ingredients into the processor bowl along with the Crisco shortening.
Give it a few pulses to get everything mixed.
Then turn on the food processor and use the pouring spout to slowly pour in the chicken broth from the Instant Pot.
(I just scoop out about a cup of broth using my 2-cup glass measuring cup.)
As soon as the dough starts to form a ball, turn off the food processor!
You’re ready to turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll it out.
Key to Success #3 – Roll So Thin You Can Read the Paper Through It
One of the important keys to the dumplings themselves is to roll them out very thin, so thin that you can read the newspaper through it.
Now, I have never put a newspaper underneath my dough to test this but I can often see the pattern of my countertops through my dough.
Use a heavy-duty rolling pin to gently roll the dough in all directions until it is super thin.
Then use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife to cut the dough into evenly-sized dumplings.
I usually cut mine into strips that are 1/2-inch X 2-inch.
Key to Success #4 – Drop Dumplings Where Broth is Boiling
While you’re mixing and rolling out the dough, set the Instant Pot to the saute setting and let the broth come to a rolling boil.
When the broth is boiling, you’re ready to add the dumplings.
Drop the dumplings one at a time and in the spot that you see the broth boiling the most.
These steps will keep your dumplings from sticking together.
You may need to stir the dumplings around occasionally but stirring should really be minimal.
Too much stirring can cause the dumplings to break apart.
Once the dumplings are all in the Instant Pot and cooking in the broth, debone the chicken breasts and cut or pull apart the meat into bite-sized chunks.
Let the Chicken and Dumplings cook all together for 12-14 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
We love to serve Chicken and Dumplings with Hot Water Cornbread.
If you’ve never heard of Hot Water Cornbread, you should definitely check out my post. Click here for the recipe. It. Is. So. Good.
Save this Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe to your favorite Instant Pot board!
- 2-4 split chicken breasts, with bones and skin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/3 cup Crisco shortening
- about 1 cup chicken broth
- Place chicken breasts into inner pot of Instant Pot. Cover with water and 1 tsp or more salt, to taste.
- Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes then quick release the pressure. Remove chicken to a heat-proof plate to cool.
- Reserve 1 cup of chicken broth from the Instant Pot. Turn Instant Pot to saute setting and allow the remaining broth to come to a boil while you make the dumplings.
- In bowl of food processor, add flour, 1 tsp salt and 1/3 cup Crisco shortening. Pulse food processor a few times to mix then start slowly pouring in broth from the Instant Pot until the dough begins to form a ball. As soon as it forms a ball, turn off the food processor!
- Roll out dough very thin. Cut into strips of equal size. (I use a pizza cutter.) Drop into boiling broth then add shredded chicken. Cook on saute setting for 12-15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g