Instant Pot Taco Soup is a hearty soup loaded with taco flavor. Made with fresh and pantry ingredients, it cooks up in about an hour. Easy to customize with the taco flavors you enjoy. Full recipe + Keys to Success.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Use Lean Ground Beef
One of the key ingredients in this Instant Pot Taco is lean ground beef.
It’s important to use lean ground beef so that you won’t have extra grease in your soup.
I prefer to use 97% lean ground beef. You can use whatever you prefer.
If you have extra grease in your Instant Pot after you brown the ground beef, be sure to use a strainer to strain the grease out of the ground beef before returning the beef to the Instant Pot.
Key to Success #2 – Drain and Rinse the Beans and Corn
While your ground beef, onions, and bell peppers are cooking, open all your cans of beans and corn and rinse them well.
I use an over-the-sink wire mesh strainer and I just pour all my beans and corn into the strainer then use the sprayer on my sin to rinse everything really well.
Technically, you don’t have to rinse the corn but I always do just because I’m draining and rinsing everything else.
When it’s time, you can just pour all the contents of the strainer into the Instant Pot and continue on with the recipe. Super easy!
Key to Success #3 – Quick Release the Pressure
After the Instant Pot Taco Soup cooks for 10 minutes at High Pressure, you can quick release the pressure.
While the Instant Pot is still at pressure, the soup is still cooking so it’s important to release the pressure as soon as the cooking time is finished.
Overcooking the Taco Soup can cause the beans to get too mushy.
After you Quick Release the pressure, you can leave the Instant Pot on the Keep Warm setting if desired.
Save this Instant Pot Taco Soup recipe to your favorite Instant Pot board or your Mexican food board.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10 oz) Ro-tel tomatoes
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In 6-quart or larger Instant Pot, place ground beef into inner pot and turn Instant Pot on to Saute setting. Brown ground beef then add onions and bell peppers and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Close lid. Set Instant Pot to High Pressure and set pressure valve to sealing. Set timer for 10 minutes. When time is up, quick release the pressure.
- Top with shredded cheese and sour cream and serve with tortilla chips.
No Instant Pot? Here are instructions to cook on stovetop or in Crock Pot.
Stovetop: Saute ground beef, onion, and peppers in a skillet. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a stockpot and add other ingredients. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
Crock Pot/Slow Cooker: Stovetop: Saute ground beef, onion, and peppers in a skillet. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a stockpot and add other ingredients. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer to a Crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Substitution for Taco Seasoning packet:
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g