Dinosaur Bones Pretzels are a super easy snack idea for your Dinosaur Party. By placing white chocolate covered pretzels into tan-colored muffin cups, they’ll look just like dinosaur bones in the sand.
This is perhaps the easiest Dinosaur Party snack around and it only takes a few minutes to make.
You can use any variety of pretzels that you have on hand.
I really like using pretzel sticks, pretzel twists, and butter snaps for the Dinosaur Bones.
If you just had pretzel sticks, that would be perfect too.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Melt the Vanilla Almond Bark
We’re using vanilla almond bark to coat these pretzels instead of actual white chocolate.
Almond bark is much easier to work with than chocolate and melts much easier.
When you are ready to dip the pretzels, put the almond bark into a microwave-safe bowl and melt it in the microwave.
First, microwave the almond bark on high power for 1 minute, then stir well.
Continue microwaving the almond bark in 30-second intervals, but be sure to stir often.
The total microwave time will be 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
At this point, you should be able to stir until the almond bark is smooth without any additional heating.
Throw a few pretzels into the bowl of almond bark, making sure the pretzels are completely covered.
Use a fork or a dipping tool to remove the pretzels from the white chocolate and place them in a single layer on a sheet of waxed paper to dry.
Key to Success #2 – Use Sand Colored Cupcake Liners
We want our pretzels to look like Dinosaur Bones from an archaeological dig so we’re putting them in sand-colored cupcake liners.
For a bite-sized snack, use mini cupcake liners or muffin cups in a tan color.
I love to use Paper Chef parchment paper cupcake liners because they are grease-proof and they hold up well.
You can use any paper cupcake liners in a tan color for these Dinosaur Bones Pretzel snacks.
If you are not having a lot of other snacks, you could use standard-sized cupcake liners and fill them with more pretzels.
Key to Success #3 – Tag ‘Em
Just placing the little cups of pretzels out on a tray does not convey that they are dinosaur bones.
You need to tell your guests that they are Dinosaur Bones without saying it out loud.
You can carry the Dinosaur Party theme forward by adding tags with the Dinosaur-themed names of the snacks written on them.
You can find printable tent cards at your local office supply store if you want to print some Dinosaur-themed food tags.
Or you can get sticky Dinosaur-themed name tags and stick them to small pieces of card stock that have been folded into tents.
We got these sticky name tags and made our own tent cards for the snack trays.
They turned out really cute!
Save this Dinosaur Bones Pretzels recipe to your favorite Dinosaur Party board or your Cute Snacks board.
- 1 pound pretzels, mixed shapes
- 16 oz white chocolate almond bark
- Place almond bark in a microwave-safe bowl then microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir well.
- Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring often, until almond bark is fully melted and smooth.
- Place a few pretzels into the bowl of white chocolate almond bark. Use a fork or chocolate dipping tool to remove the pretzels from the almond bark and tap off the excess.
- Lay chocolate-coated pretzels out separately onto a sheet of waxed paper to dry. Dry completely.
- When dry, place a few pretzels into each mini cupcake liner. Break sticks into pieces to fit in the cupcake liner.
- Use any varieties of bite-sized hard pretzels or pretzel sticks. You can combine multiple pretzel varieties as I did. I used pretzel sticks, pretzel twists, and butter snaps.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.