Butterfinger Poke Cake is a super easy dessert recipe with loads of flavor. The moist caramel poke cake is layered with crushed Butterfinger candy bars and a layer of Cool Whip. You won’t believe how easy!
Butterfinger candy bars will always have a special place in my heart. And this poke cake recipe will as well!
You’re going to love the caramel flavor in this poke cake.
And can we talk about the thick layer of Butterfinger?
So much flavor in every single bite.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Doctor Up the Cake Mix
This easy poke cake recipe starts with a yellow cake mix from the grocery store.
If you have a butter recipe cake mix, that will work just as well.
You can use any brand of cake mix that you like. I like the ones that are on sale.
We’re not going to stop with just a basic cake mix though. Let’s doctor it up to make it taste homemade.
To your cake mix, add in a cup of milk, three eggs and a half cup of oil.
We’re replacing the water called for on the box with milk and we’re adding an extra egg for added richness.
Use an electric mixer or a whisk to beat the cake mix together for 2 minutes.
I prefer to use an electric mixer. So much easier.
Key to Success #2 – Poke the Poke Cake
After the cake comes out of the oven, use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake.
It does not have to be a wooden spoon. It can be anything that is similarly sized that will poke a hole.
Do not poke all the way down to the pan, only press the spoon handle about 3/4 of the way into the cake.
In a small bowl, combine the caramel sauce and the sweetened condensed milk.
Stir the milk mixture together until it is just combined.
Finally, pour the milk mixture over the poke cake. Make sure the milk gets down into the holes that you poked in the cake.
Adding the milk and caramel to the cake will result in a moist cake with lots of richness and flavor.
Key to Success #3 – Add a Thick Layer of Crushed Butterfinger
We’re adding lots of Butterfingers to our Butterfinger Poke Cake to really take it over the top.
Place the candy bars into a plastic zip-top plastic baggie then use a rolling pin or a meat mallet to crush the candy bars into fine crumbs.
You will likely still have some chunks of chocolate, but who doesn’t like chocolate?
It’s okay to leave the chocolate chunks in with the crushed Butterfinger.
Spread a thick layer of Butterfinger over the caramel milk mixture.
After the crushed candy has been added, allow the cake to cool then place it into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
When the cake is cold, spread Cool Whip all over the top of the cake.
If desired, you can add more crushed Butterfinger candy bars to the top of the cake.
I personally like the Butterfinger on the top, but you can customize it however you like it.
Save this Butterfinger Poke Cake recipe to your favorite Poke Cakes board or your Butterfinger Desserts board.
- 1 box (15 oz) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 jar (14 oz) caramel topping
- 4 Butterfinger candy bars (full size)
- 1 bowl (8 oz) Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, water, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour cake batter into greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Bake 28-32 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately poke holes in the cake using the end of a wooden spoon.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the caramel sauce and the sweetened condensed milk. Pour the mixture over the cake, making sure that it gets into all the holes. Use a spoon or spatula to spread the caramel over the cake if needed.
- Crush up Butterfinger candy bars then sprinkle over the top of the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool then refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Spread Cool Whip over the cold cake, making sure to spread it to the edges
- (Optional) Use additional crushed Butterfinger candy bars to decorate the top of the cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 447mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g
Nutrition Information Provided For Educational and Informational Purposes Only.