Hawaiian Wedding Cake is a tropical poke cake topped with layers of crushed pineapple, creamy pudding, whipped topping, and coconut flakes. You’re going to love this refreshing coconut and pineapple poke cake.
If you love fruity cakes, this recipe is for you!
This Pineapple Coconut Poke Cake is a fun twist on a Hawaiian Wedding Cake.
This dessert is perfect for potlucks because it can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator until you’re ready for dessert.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Don’t Poke All the Way Through the Cake
This easy cake starts off with a basic yellow cake mix.
Make the batter according to the package directions then bake the cake for about 28 minutes.
To test if your cake is fully baked, stick a toothpick into the center of the cake then remove it immediately.
If the toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, your cake is fully baked.
Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes after it has finished baking before putting holes in it.
Poke holes approximately 1 1/2 inches apart all over the top of the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon.
If you don’t have a wooden spoon with a small handle, any utensil with a small and round handle would suffice.
Make a hole approximately 3/4 of the way into the cake.
You don’t want to poke all the way through the cake since you want the bottom of the cake to stay intact.
Gently poke the holes so that the top of the cake does not get torn up.
Key to Success #2 – Use the Pineapple With the Juice
After the cake has cooled completely, spread the can of crushed pineapple over the top.
You will add the pineapple along with the juice.
The juice will absorb into the basic cake to add flavor and moisture to this easy poke cake.
Spread the crushed pineapple all the way to the edges of the pan.
Key to Success #3 – Make the Cream Cheese Pudding Layer
The cream cheese pudding layer is made with a block of cream cheese and some vanilla pudding.
Start by creaming the cream cheese with an electric mixer.
Slowly add in the cold milk until it is fully combined.
Finally, blend in the vanilla pudding.
Continue mixing for about 2 minutes until the pudding gets thick and smooth.
Refrigerate the pudding layer until you are ready to use it.
The pudding layer goes on top of the crushed pineapple layer.
Use a spoon or a spatula to spread the pudding layer all over the pineapple.
Spread Cool Whip all over the pudding layer then sprinkle sweetened coconut flakes on the top for the perfect tropical finish.
Save this Hawaiian Wedding Cake recipe to your favorite Hawaiian Desserts board or your Coconut and Pineapple board.
- 1 box (15 oz) yellow cake mix + ingredients listed on the box
- 1 can (15 oz) crushed pineapple with juice
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups milk
- 1 box (3 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tub (8 oz) Cool Whip
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Prepare yellow cake mix according to package directions. Pour into greased dish and bake for 28 minutes or according to package directions. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until it is smooth. Slowly add the milk until fully combined. Blend in pudding mix and beat for 2-3 minutes until the pudding mixture is thick and smooth. Refrigerate pudding mix.
- When the cake is cool, use a wooden skewer to poke holes all over the cake. Spread the crushed pineapple with the juice over the cake,
- On top of the pineapple layer, spread the chilled pudding.
- Spread Cool Whip over the pudding. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Del Monte Crushed Pineapple in 100% Juice, 15.25 oz
Jell-O Vanilla Pudding & Pie Filling, 3.4 oz, 4 pk
Betty Crocker Super Moist Yellow Mix (Pack of 2)
Baker's Angel Flake Sweetened Coconut
KOOV Bakeware Sets, Ceramic Baking Dish Set, Rectangular Lasagna Pan, Casserole Dish Set for Cooking, Cake Dinner, Kitchen, 9 x 13 Inches, Baking Set 3-Piece (Yellow)
Good Cook 12-inch Bamboo Skewers, 100 Count
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g
Nutrition Information Provided For Educational and Informational Purposes Only.