Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup is a hearty soup that is loaded with chunky potatoes in a creamy sauce. You can top it off with lots of yummy shredded cheese, bacon, or green onions. We’re sharing all the keys to success for this perfect cold-weather meal.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Cut Potatoes Into Evenly Sized Cubes
This Loaded Baked Potato Soup is really easy to put together but there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind to make this recipe a success.
Since it’s baked potato soup, one of the most important ingredients is the potatoes.
Use nice quality russet potatoes for this Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe.
You’ll need about 3 pounds of potatoes. Depending on how large the potatoes are, you’ll want about 8-10 medium-sized potatoes.
Scrub them and remove the skin using a potato peeler then cube the potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
It’s important to cut the potatoes into similarly sized cubes so that they will cook in the same amount of time.
This will prevent your soup from having some mushy potatoes and some that are undercooked.
Key to Success #2 – Use the Instant Pot for a one-pot meal
You’ll need a 6-quart Instant Pot or larger for this recipe. This sized pot will give you plenty of room for your hearty baked potato soup.
One of the nice things about the Instant Pot is the Saute function that will allow you to cook down the onions and garlic before you add the other ingredients.
Any meal that can be made in one pot is preferable for me.
After the onions and garlic are softened, you can add the cubed potatoes, can of soup, chicken broth, and seasonings to your Instant Pot.
Then you’re ready to set the Instant Pot to HIGH pressure and set the pressure valve to Sealing. Be sure to set the timer for 10 minutes.
After the timer goes off, mix together your slurry of milk and flour. This will help your soup thicken up.
Quick-release the pressure from our Instant Pot and remove the lid then pour in the slurry.
Stir it well then set your Instant Pot to the saute setting and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Be sure to stir occasionally to make sure the soup thickens evenly.
Key to Success #3 – Top It Off Right
After you thicken your baked potato soup, add in a healthy dose of shredded cheese.
I like cheddar cheese in this recipe but you could also use a fiesta blend cheese or another blend of your choice.
Stir it well to make sure the cheese melts evenly in your soup.
You can top your baked potato soup with more shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, or green onion.
I like lots of cheese and bacon in my soup.
I love the big chunks of potatoes in this soup and the flavor is delicious.
Save this Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe to your favorite Instant Pot board or your Soup board.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3 pounds russet potatoes (8-10 medium), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In 6-quart or larger Instant Pot, turn on saute setting and add butter to inner pot. Add in diced onions and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook an additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Add diced potatoes, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Stir well. Place lid on Instant Pot and turn the vent to sealing. Set Instant Pot for High Pressure and set timer for 10 minutes.
- When timer goes off, quick release the pressure. In small bowl, combine milk and flour to create a slurry. Once pressure is released, open the lid and stir in the slurry. Change cook mode to Saute and cook 4-5 minutes, until thickened. Stir in shredded cheese.
- Serve with additional shredded cheese, bacon pieces, or green onion.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g