Are you looking for a delicious and decadent treat that’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth? Then you have to try these Blueberry Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling and Streusel- a scrumptious, bakery-style treat that will have your mouth watering for more. The sweet and creamy cream cheese filling adds richness and depth to the light and fluffy muffin, while the streusel topping adds a delightful crunch.
Yep, the calendar says it’s April but we had sleet and snow overnight.
We didn’t get much snow, but it was still coming down when I woke up this morning.
Emily helped me make these bakery-style Blueberry Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling for breakfast.
Filled with thick cream cheese, these muffins are topped with a sweet and crunchy streusel topping that makes them out-of-this-world good.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – The Streusel Topping
A sprinkle of sugar, a touch of salt, and a whole lot of love – sounds like the perfect recipe for success!
With streusel being so simple to make, you can use it on pretty much anything.
The base is an easy combination; melted butter stirred together with flour and both sugars before that pinch of salt tops off your masterpiece.
Get creative: mash everything up with a fork in any small dish you’d prefer.
I’m personally partial towards cereal dishes myself.
When that light and fluffy creation looks just right, you know it’s Yum Yum time!
Key to Success #2 – The Cream Cheese Filling
In a small bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese and sugar.
You don’t need to drag out your mixer for this.
Just use a spoon to stir together the cream cheese and sugar.
It comes together really quickly if your cream cheese is at room temperature.
Tip! If you’re making this recipe when you just woke up and haven’t had a chance to soften your cream cheese, you can soften it in the microwave. Just pop it into the microwave on low/defrost setting for about 30 seconds.
Key to Success #3 – The Muffin Batter
The muffin batter is light and fluffy thanks to the addition of a bit of vinegar and a full cup of sour cream.
The vinegar reacts with the baking soda to make the muffins lighter. And the sour cream adds a good bit of moisture into the mix.
The result is a wonderful light and fluffy muffin.
This recipe makes a full 24 muffins.
I bake my blueberry muffins in two 12-cup muffin/cupcake pans.
I like USA pans because they are durable and hold up well to all my baking.
There’s no need to get out your mixer.
The muffins can be made with just a whisk and a spoon or spatula.
Either way, the batter comes together really easily.
I love using big, juicy blueberries in baked goods.
For this recipe, I used a 6-ounce container of fresh blueberries.
You can also use frozen blueberries that have been thawed.
Key to Success #4 – Layer it up
Be sure to spray your muffin liners with cooking spray or use a non-stick liner.
My favorite non-stick liners are the ones made of parchment paper.
You can get non-stick parchment muffin liners from Amazon or you can sometimes find them at the big craft stores.
They not be the prettiest things but they are well-worth it when you realize how perfectly your baked goods will come out of the wrapper when you use these.
Here’s the order:
- 1-2 Tablespoons muffin batter
- 1 teaspoon cream cheese filling
- 1 Tablespoon muffin batter
- streusel topping
The amounts are pretty important. If you’re not careful, you’ll run out of ingredients before you fill all the muffin cups.
It’s worth mentioning that this recipe makes 24 regular sized muffins.
Tip! If in doubt, put less batter/filling than you think you need. You can always go back and add more if you have any leftover.
For the streusel topping, just sprinkle the topping over the batter then lightly press down with the back of a spoon. It does not have to be perfect.
These muffins bake up big and fluffy.
They’ll bake for about 18-22 minutes until they are a nice golden brown color.
You’ll want to allow them to rest a few minutes in the pan so that they can cool or otherwise, they’ll be difficult to remove from the wrapper.
These blueberry muffins are great for bake sales or family events. They travel well and taste delicious.
Save this Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins recipe to your favorite Breakfast board or your Blueberry Treats board.
For the topping:
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
For the muffin batter:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 container (6 oz) fresh blueberries , may use frozen (thawed) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pans with paper baking cups.
- Make the streusel topping - Melt butter in a small bowl then add sugar, flour, and salt. Mix with a fork until it forms a crumb then set aside.
- Make the cream cheese filling - In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese and sugar. (You can soften the cream cheese in the microwave, if needed - 30 seconds on low/defrost setting.) Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs then add in sugar, oil, milk, vanilla, and vinegar. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir in soda, salt, and flour until just barely combined. Mix in sour cream. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups with 1-2 Tbsp batter. Add 1 tsp cream cheese filling. Top with 1 Tbsp batter. Sprinkle streusel topping on top and press down gently with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until muffins are golden brown. Cool 5-10 minutes in pan.
- Try reducing sugar to 1/2
- Try replacing half of the oil with unsweetened applesauce
- Use low-fat sour cream
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g
Check out these other related recipes at GraceLikeRainBlog.com
Check out these other breakfast recipes!
- Fruit Pizza
- Easy Crispy Apple Fritters
- The Best Cinnamon Rolls With Thick Ooey Gooey Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Glazed Strawberry Bread
- Pumpkin Bread
- Air Fryer Stuffed Bagel Bites
- Glazed Blueberry Bread