Do you have a recipe that you make over and over at your house? This breakfast casserole is one of those dishes for us. I make this casserole almost every week for Mike’s breakfast throughout the week. It’s my Sunday afternoon ritual because it’s just so delicious.
Easy Make-ahead Breakfast
One of the wonderful things about this recipe is how easy it is to make.
You can spend a few minutes to put together this recipe the night before and place it in the refrigerator to bake the next morning.
It would be perfect for a family breakfast or brunch.
The Spice of Life
Mike likes his breakfast casserole to be spicy.
When he was at the grocery store the other week, he ran across some Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning.
We tried this week and he said it was excellent.
We had to search far and wide but we finally found some of Slap Ya Mama Cajun hot sauce and he really likes that too.
Everything But The Kitchen Sink
This is an “everything but the kitchen sink” recipe where you can add just about anything that you want.
If I have some leftover mozzarella cheese, I’ll add that in.
If I don’t have any green chiles, I’ll leave that out.
I’ve used just about every type of sausage.
I prefer to use the Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles just because it’s so easy and quick.
If I have some leftover sausage patties, I’ll sometimes chop them up with a knife and add the extra sausage into the recipe.
Have you ever tried Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning?
What other hot seasoning mixes would you recommend?
I hope you’ll try this recipe and let us know what you think.
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen tater tots
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, cooked
- 3-4 cups cheese, shredded
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (4.5 oz) green chiles
- 1 Tbsp Slap Ya Mama Seasoning
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9X13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add tater tots, shredded cheese, and cooked sausage to casserole dish. Mix well.
- Crack eggs into medium sized bowl and scramble slightly. Add seasonings and green chiles. Pour in milk then mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over tater tots, cheese, and sausage making sure all ingredients are covered with the egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
If making ahead, cover the uncooked casserole and refrigerate overnight. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes then uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
For the sausage, I used the Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles but any breakfast sausage will work.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 652Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 272mgSodium: 1498mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 39g
Nutrition Information Provided For Educational and Informational Purposes Only.