What if I said that you could make fried catfish fillets using only about two teaspoons of oil? What if I said the catfish will be crispy outside and flaky and flavorful inside? You probably think I’m kidding but I’m not. You can make delicious fried catfish fillets in your Air Fryer.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Choose the Right Air Fryer
I have a Cozyna XL 5.8 qt Air Fryer.
With its larger size, I can fit two or three catfish fillets in the air fryer at once, depending on size.
You’ll want the catfish in a single layer so that it can brown evenly.
If you have a smaller air fryer, you might want to cut the catfish fillets into smaller pieces so that they’ll fit better.
Key to Success #2 – Choose the Right Catfish Fillets
You can get fresh catfish fillets or you can use frozen fillets from your local grocer.
If using frozen catfish fillets, you can place the frozen fillets into a plastic zip-top bag and submerge them in a pan of cold water for a few hours to thaw them.
Safety first! Do not use hot or warm water to thaw frozen meat. It may seem counter-intuitive to use cold water but using warm water will not keep the meat at a safe temperature.
Key to Success #3 – Spice Things Up, If You Dare
I used a little Cajun seasoning in place of salt in my catfish coating this time.
I used a teaspoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning but I could have used more.
Next time I’ll probably add more. We like things spicy.
- 5 catfish fillets, thawed
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt or seasoning of your choice
- olive oil
- Preheat Air Fryer at 400 degrees.
- Trim catfish fillets and cut into nugget-sized pieces, if desired. Dry catfish thoroughly.
- Place cornmeal and salt into a zip-top bag. Add catfish fillets or nuggets and shake gently to coat.
- Spray/coat Air Fryer basket with olive oil. Place catfish in a single layer in the basket then spray fish well with olive oil. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Use tongs to gently flip each piece of fish then spray the other side with olive oil. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Cook additional 2-3 minutes to desired crispness.
May use Cajun seasonings, such as Slap Ya Mama, in place of salt. Start with 1 tsp then add more to taste
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 685Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 236mgSodium: 1789mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 68g
Nutrition Information Provided For Educational and Informational Purposes Only.