This Biscuit and Gravy Ring is a great new twist on classic biscuits and gravy. It is the perfect skillet dish to take to your next family breakfast or brunch. Easy to make, easy to take.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Let’s Talk Gravy
Around here, we like our gravy meaty and peppery.
This recipe uses a full pound of breakfast sausage. You can go either hot or mild but I don’t suggest an extra lean sausage.
You’re going to want some grease in the pan when you make your gravy.
The key to a smooth and creamy gravy is the stirring!
Make sure you stir your gravy the whole time it’s cooking.
I like to use a small wire whisk when I’m making gravy. A wooden spoon would also work well.
Key to Success #2 – How About Some Biscuits?
You can use any flavor/variety of biscuits you like but I’d suggest a “Grands” variety that has 8 larger biscuits in the can.
This will give you 16 halves and that was perfect for making the ring around the skillet.
And I should mention that you’ll need a big skillet. I recommend at least a 12-inch skillet for this recipe.
I prefer cast iron but any skillet will work as long as it’s oven-safe.
Make sure your biscuits are touching when you make your ring. This will help keep the gravy in the center of the ring when the biscuits bake up.
If you’d like, you can brush an egg wash on your biscuits before adding the gravy to the center of your biscuit ring.
This will help add a lovely golden color to your biscuits.
Key to Success #3 – Serve It Up
This Biscuit and Gravy Ring is wonderful served with scrambled eggs.
It’s a hearty dish that even the big men will love.
Since the biscuits and gravy are served in one dish, it’s perfect for making at home or taking to a family breakfast or brunch.
Save this Biscuit & Gravy Ring recipe to your favorite Breakfast Board or your Brunch board.
Biscuit and Gravy Ring
A fresh new twist on a classic breakfast dish! This Biscuit and Gravy Ring is perfect for brunch too. Easy to make, easy to take.
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage, hot or mild
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 can refrigerated biscuit dough
- egg wash (1 egg + 1 tsp water), optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 10" oven-proof skillet.
- In medium skillet, brown sausage over medium heat until cooked through. Sprinkle flour over sausage and cook for about 1 minute. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until gravy is very thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat
- Cut biscuits in half then roll the dough into balls. Place balls around the perimeter of greased skillet to form a ring. Make sure sides of biscuits are touching. Brush on egg wash (optional). Pour gravy into the center of the ring.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until biscuits are golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 1090mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 16g
Check out these other fantastic recipes from GraceLikeRainBlog.com.
Check out these other related recipes at GraceLikeRainBlog.com
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Make Ahead Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole