S’mores Brownies feature a thick fudge brownie on top of a graham cracker crust and crowned with a layer of toasted marshmallows. These rich little treats combine the best of both worlds into one delicious bar.
First, we’re starting off with a traditional graham cracker crust as the base of our S’mores Brownies.
On top of the crust, we’re adding a fudge brownie made with real unsweetened chocolate.
Just before the brownies are cooked through, we’re topping it with marshmallows and chocolate pieces then toasting them to s’more perfection.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Start with a Thick Graham Cracker Crust
This S’mores Brownie recipe starts off with a thick layer of graham cracker crust on the bottom.
Use a food processor on pulse setting to pulverize the graham crackers into crumbs.
If your food processor is large enough, you can do this in one step but I split the crackers into two batches because it’s easier to get a fine crumb with my machine with this method.
Pour the graham cracker crumbs onto a bowl then add the sugar and melted butter.
Stir until the crumbs are well-moistened then immediately press them into a greased baking dish.
Use a glass or a measuring cup to press the graham cracker crumbs firmly into the dish to form a crust.
If you skip this step, your crust may not stick together once it is baked.
Pre-bake the crust by placing it into a 3530 degree F oven for just 10 minutes.
While the crust is baking, mix up the brownies.
Key to Success #2 – Make the Brownies with Real Chocolate
For the brownies, start by melting together unsweetened chocolate and butter in the microwave.
When I say unsweetened chocolate, I’m talking about the chocolate baking bars that are found in the baking aisle of your local supermarket, not the chocolate bars in the candy aisle.
Finely chop the chocolate so that it will melt more quickly and evenly.
If you don’t chop the chocolate, you will have to heat the chocolate more than necessary in order to get it to melt and you run the risk of overheating and scorching the chocolate.
Microwave the chopped chocolate and butter for 1 minute then stir well. Microwave another 30 seconds then stir again.
Continue heating and stirring in 30-second increments until the chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, flour, and salt until just combined. Stir in the chocolate mixture and vanilla extract.
Pour the brownie batter over the pre-baked graham cracker crust and use a spatula to smooth the top.
Key to Success #3 – Top with Ooey Gooey Toasted Marshmallows
Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes then remove them from the oven and top with miniature marshmallows.
Break the chocolate bars apart or cut them into squares along the score lines then place them on top of the marshmallows.
You can be creative with the chocolate placement or you can just sprinkle them randomly.
Finally, pop the brownies back into the oven for about 8 minutes until the marshmallows are toasty and the chocolates are slightly melted.
I prefer to go with lightly toasted on my marshmallows because any more than that may result in completely melted marshmallows and that is not the assignment.
Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool completely before cutting them.
If you’re too anxious to wait, you can cut into the brownies before they are cool but the marshmallows may not cut beautifully.
Save this S’mores Brownies recipe to your favorite Brownies and Bars board or your S’mores Insipired Desserts board.
S'mores Brownies feature a thick fudge brownie on top of a graham cracker crust and crowned with a layer of toasted marshmallows. These rich little treats combine the best of both worlds into one delicious bar.
For the Graham Cracker Crust
- 24 full-sized graham crackers
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
For the Brownies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 6 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Topping
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 full-sized Hershey's chocolate bars, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Crush the graham crackers into fine crumbs. Stir in melted butter and sugar until crumbs are well moistened. Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the greased pan. Use a measuring cup or a glass to press the crumbs down.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine 6 oz unsweetened chocolate and 1/2 cup butter. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds then stir well. Continue heating in 30-second intervals then stirring until chocolate is fully melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, salt, and flour until combined. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla extract. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes then remove from the oven and top with miniature marshmallows and pieces of Hershey's chocolate bars.
- Place the brownies back into the oven for 8 minutes or until marshmallows are toasted and chocolate is soft.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- The graham cracker crust is optional. If not using, skip steps 2 and 3.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g
Nutrition Information Provided For Educational and Informational Purposes Only.
Check out these other fantastic recipes from GraceLikeRainBlog.com.
Layered Brownies with Frosting