Cream Puff Cake starts with traditional cream puff pastry then it’s topped with a thick vanilla cream layer and crowned with Cool Whip. This easy cake is drizzled with chocolate for an eye-catching presentation. You’re going to love this dessert that is like a cream puff in cake form.
If you’re looking for a unique cake idea, this is the one!
We’re using traditional puff pastry dough for the bottom layer. This is the exact same pastry you would use to make Cream Puffs.
The cream layer is made with two different flavors of pudding and some cream cheese.
Then we’re topping it off with Cool Whip and drizzling the whole thing with melted chocolate for that “wow” factor.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Do Not Underbake the Cream Puff Pastry
The cream puff pastry starts by bringing butter, water, and sugar to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
Use medium heat and just give it a little time to come to temperature.
Next, add the flour and stir the mixture for 3 minutes until it forms a ball.
Remove the dough from the saucepan and place it in a large mixing bowl.
Add the eggs and beat with a hand mixer until the eggs are fully combined.
You should end up with a thick dough.
Press the puffy pastry dough into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish and bake for 35-37 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
The pastry will rise up along the sides of the baking dish while it is in the oven.
Make sure you don’t underbake the pastry or it may be chewy on the bottom.
You want it to be light and flaky when it is finished baking.
Key to Success #2 – Soften the Cream Cheese
For the delicious cream in our cream puff cake, we’re using cream cheese, milk, and two kinds of pudding.
Start by softening the cream cheese by letting it sit at room temperature for an hour or so.
If you’re in a rush, you can microwave the unwrapped cream cheese for about 20 seconds.
Use a hand mixer to blend the cream cheese until it is smooth.
Slowly at the milk and continue mixing until fully combined.
Add in the Vanilla pudding mix and the French Vanilla Pudding mix and blend for 2 minutes until the cream is smooth and thick.
You can use two boxes of vanilla pudding or two boxes of French Vanilla pudding if that’s what you have available.
But the combination of vanilla and French vanilla mixed with the cream cheese creates a unique flavor profile that I really love.
Refrigerate the cream until you are ready to serve your Cream Puff Cake.
Key to Success #3 – Add Cream and Toppings When Ready to Serve
When you’re ready to serve your Cream Puff Cake, spoon the cream into the puff pastry shell.
Spread the cream all the way to the edges of the puff pastry, even where the pastry curls around the edges.
Spoon the Cool Whip over the cream layer.
Melt the chocolate and shortening in the microwave and stir well to combine.
I recommend using a high-quality baking chocolate bar that you find in the baking aisle of your local supermarket.
You can substitute melted chocolate chips if desired.
The shortening is added to make the melted chocolate a bit thinner so that it drizzles smoothly.
Drizzle the melted chocolate over the Cool Whip for a pretty presentation.
Since the Cool Whip is cold, the chocolate will set fairly quickly.
Cream Puff Cake is best served immediately. Be sure to refrigerate any leftovers.
Finally, all that’s left to do is enjoy your beautiful and delicious cream puff cake!
This cake is ideal for any occasion.
Not only does it look impressive, but everyone will be bowled over by the flavor.
Cream Puffs are always a crowd favorite; now you can deliver them in a new form – as a showstopping dessert cake.
All the things that make cream puffs so irresistible – light, flaky pastry and creamy pudding filling – are in this cake too.
After following the three key steps listed above, making your own cream puff cake should take no time at all.
So, don’t delay – join us in the kitchen and make some cream puff cake today!
Save this Cream Puff Cake recipe to your favorite Cakes board or your Unique Desserts board.
Cream Puff Cake
A traditional cream puff in cake form!
Cream Puff Cake starts with traditional cream puff pastry then it's topped with a thick vanilla cream layer and crowned with Cool Whip.
This easy cake is drizzled with chocolate for an eye-catching presentation.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 pkg (3.4 oz) JELLO Vanilla Instant Pudding mix
- 1 pkg (3.4 oz) JELLO French Vanilla Instant Pudding mix
- 1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip
- 2 oz semi sweet baking chocolate bar
- 1 tsp shortening
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring butter, water, and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a large bowl.
- Add eggs and beat with a hand mixer until fully combined. Spread the dough into the bottom of the 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 35 to 37 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. The dough will puff up along the sides of the baking dish. Cool completely at room temperature.
- Mix cream cheese and milk in a medium bowl until well blended. Add pudding mixes and beat for 2 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread the pudding layer over the cream puff crust just before serving. Top with Cool Whip.
- Finely chop the chocolate then place it in a small microwave-safe bowl with the shortening. Heat on HIGH power for 20 seconds then stir well. Continue heating and stirring in 20-second intervals until it is completely smooth. Drizzle chocolate over the Cool Whip.
Check out these other fantastic recipes from GraceLikeRainBlog.com.
Oreo Cookies and Cream Ice Cream