This Chocolate Dinosaur Cake is the perfect addition to your Dinosaur Party. It’s a delicious DIY Dinosaur Birthday Cake that you can decorate in under 30 minutes if you follow these keys to success. Try this one at your next 3-Rex Birthday party. Perfect for boys or girls.
We made this cute Dinosaur cake for my niece Stella’s 3-REX birthday party.
Even though it was an easy homemade cake, we got a lot of compliments on it.
And you better bet it tasted delicious.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Use Cake Mixes for Convenience
A cute Dinosaur cake doesn’t have to be ultra fussy!
We’re using two boxed cake mixes to make the cakes for our Dinosaur cake.
I used one chocolate cake mix and one white cake mix, but you can use both chocolate cake mixes or really any flavors that you like.
You can substitute your own cake recipe, but I think cake mixes produce such light and fluffy cakes that they are really hard to beat for cakes where the decorations are the star.
In separate bowls, prepare the cake batter according to package directions then pour each one into greased 9×13-inch baking pans.
The boxed mixes usually call for eggs, water, and oil or sometimes butter.
One important thing to note is to check your cake mix to make sure the cook time and temperature are the same or similar.
They do not have to be cooked in the oven at the same time, but it saves you time if they can.
Key to Success #2 – Layer the Cakes and Add a Volcano
Our Dinosaur Cake is meant to look like the dinosaurs are roaming the land and heading up to the volcano.
The lowest level will be the full chocolate cake layer. Cover the chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate buttercream frosting.
Next, we will add a hill with the white cake layer.
Cut the white cake longways and at an angle to form a gentle slope for the hill that will go on the back part of the cake.
Place the white cake hill on the back part of the chocolate cake.
Next, use a sharp knife to cut two circles out of the remaining white cake.
One circle should be about 3 inches wide and the other one should be 2 inches wide.
We will add some chocolate buttercream to the top of the white cake layer then add the 3-inch cake circle, another layer of frosting, then the 3-inch cake circle.
Use a sharp knife to even up the cake volcano.
Finally, cover the entire cake and volcano with a thick layer of chocolate buttercream.
The frosting should be uneven and swirled to mimic the dirt and terrain when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Key to Success #3 – Decorate the Dinosaur Scene
Now that you have the terrain on your Dinosaur Cake, it’s time to add some dinosaurs.
Place three or three plastic dinosaur toys on your cake facing the volcano as if they are on a journey to reach the volcano.
I used a set of 7-inch realistic plastic dinosaurs that I got from Amazon.
Place some plastic trees around the landscape, especially at the back and on the sides.
Set some Whoppers and chocolate covered raisins in groupings around the cake to look like boulders and rocky outcroppings for the dinosaurs to enjoy.
Finally, sprinkle some crushed Oreo Cookies on the top of the volcano and down the sides to represent the ash from the volcano.
You can also use some unsweetened cocoa powder to add texture.
Save this Chocolate Dinosaur Cake recipe to your favorite Dinosaur Party board or your Easy DIY Birthday Cake board.
Chocolate Dinosaur Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix + ingredients listed on box
- 1 box white cake mix + ingredients listed on box
- 1 recipe Chocolate Buttercream Frosting *See Link Below for Recipe
- 1 box Whoppers
- 1 box chocolate-covered raisins
- 1 pkg Oreo Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two identical 9x13-inch baking pans.
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to package directions. Pour into a greased baking pan.
- Prepare white cake mix according to package directions. Pour into the other greased baking pan.
- Bake cakes for 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow both cakes to cool completely.
- Use a stand mixer to whip up Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
- When the cake is cool, level the chocolate cake if needed then place it in the middle of the serving board.
- Cover the top of the chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate buttercream frosting,
- Cut the white cake roughly in half longways to form the hill. Angle the cut so that it is a gentle slope. Place the white cake on the back half of the frosting-covered chocolate cake for the hill.
- From the remaining white cake, use a knife to cut a circular shape that is about 3 inches wide and another circular shape that is about 2 inches wide. These cake circles will form the volcano.
- Apply a layer of chocolate buttercream where you want the volcano to be then place the 3-inch circle of cake on top of the frosting. Add chocolate frosting on top of the circle of cake then place the smaller circle on top.
- Use a sharp knife to even out the cake circles to make a smooth volcano.
- Apply chocolate buttercream frosting to the entire volcano, the top of the cake, down the angled "hill" and on all sides of the cake. A thick layer of frosting can be used to smooth the transition from the volcano to the hill and down the slope to the flat cake. The frosting should be irregular like dirt and terrain.
- Place two to three 7-inch dinosaurs on the cake facing toward the volcano.
- Create rocky terrain using the Whoppers and chocolate-covered raisins. Group the candies into several rocky outcrops around the landscape. Add a few trees around the dinosaurs.
- Sprinkle crushed Oreo cookies on the top of the volcano and down the sides to represent lava or ash from the volcano.
- You can substitute any cake mix flavor for this Dinosaur Cake recipe.
- Use this link for the Buttercream Frosting Recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OuMuaMua Realistic Dinosaur Figure Toys - 6 Pack 7" Large Size Plastic Dinosaur Set for Kids and Toddler Education, Including T-rex, Stegosaurus, Monoclonius, etc
Arcady 12PC Mini Toy Jungle Trees Wide Bushy Trees and Tall Trees
Ironwood Gourmet 28218 Square Charleston End Grain Chef's Board , Acacia Wood
KitchenAid KSM150PSBY Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Boysenberry
USA Pan Bakeware Rectangular Cake Pan, 9 x 13 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 15gCarbohydrates: 54.8gProtein: 1.9g