Mile-High Chocolate Mousse Pie is so thick. So rich. So indulgent. It’s a classic chocolate mousse piled high in an Oreo crust and topped with a mountain of sweet and creamy whipped cream. This is a heavenly treat that can’t be beat. Try it, you’ll see.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
How do you like your crust?
This Chocolate Mousse Pie starts out with an Oreo Cookie Crust.
You can buy a pre-made crust from the grocery store or you can make your own. I’ve made my own and I’ve bought a pre-made crust.
I usually use a pre-made crust if I’m taking the pie somewhere so that it’ll be in a disposable pan.
If you choose to bake your own, the basic recipe for an Oreo Cookie crust is 25 Oreos + 5 Tbsp melted butter.
Finely crush up the cookies (make it easy on yourself and use your food processor!) then mix with the butter and press into the pan.
If you’d like, you can bake the crust at 325 degrees F for about 7 minutes but it’s not necessary with an Oreo cookie crust.
Miles of Mousse
The chocolate mousse is a classic mousse recipe made with eggs and cream.
The key here is to keep the egg whites and the heavy cream cold then carefully fold them into the chocolate mixture.
You want to be gentle so that you don’t deflate the mousse.
If you use cold ingredients, your mousse should firm up quickly and you can go ahead and pile that mousse high in your Oreo Cookie crust.
You’ll want to chill the chocolate mousse in the crust in your refrigerator for at least an hour until it’s completely firm before you add your whipped topping.
Light and Fluffy Whipped Cream
Again, you’ll want your heavy whipping cream and your mixing bowl and beaters to be very cold before you whip up your whipped cream.
Whip, whip, whip.
A cup of heavy whipping cream is plenty if you’re just spreading over the top of your pie.
You’ll want to make more if you’re doing any sort of fancy piping or decorating with it.
This pie is so delicious and it just cuts beautifully. It always gets rave reviews. The only thing I wish … is that it was bigger!
Pin this Chocolate Mousse Pie recipe to your favorite Chocolate Lovers Board or your Pie board!
For Chocolate Mousse Filling
- 6 ounces high-quality bittersweet chocolate like Ghiradelli 60% cacao baking chips
- 3 tablespoons 2 ounces unsalted butter, diced
- 3 teaspoons boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Pre-made Oreo Cookie Crust OR 25 Oreos + 5 tablespoons melted butter,
- Melt chocolate and butter carefully in the microwave, or use a double boiler. Add boiling water and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whip cold heavy cream until soft peaks form. Place in refrigerator.
- Whip egg whites and sugar in a separate bowl until soft peaks form.
- When the melted chocolate has cooled to approximately 100 degrees F, stir in the egg yolks.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Fold half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the other half of the whipped cream and the other half of the egg whites.
- For the crust, either use a pre-made Oreo Cookie Crust OR crush 25 Oreo cookies and mix with 5 tablespoons melted butter then press into bottom and sides of pie pan.
- For the whipped cream, mix heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until medium to stiff peaks form.
- To put it all together, spoon chocolate mousse into pie crust. Smooth top. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before topping with whipped cream.
This recipe makes a mile-high pie. Go ahead and mound the chocolate mousse into the pie crust. Mousse should be thick enough that it won't spill out.
If you want to use whipped cream for decorating your pie, double the whipped cream recipe.
Garnish with crushed Oreos or chocolate shavings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 25gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g