Air Fryer Chocolate Lava Cake is a fantastic Air Fryer Dessert that is bursting with chocolatey flavor. The molten chocolate center is so silky and delicious that you’ll wonder where it’s been all your life. It’s perfect topped with a little powdered sugar or a big scoop of ice cream.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Use a High-Quality Chocolate Bars
I love to use Ghirardelli baking chocolate in this Air Fryer Chocolate Lava Cake recipe.
I’m not talking about Ghirardelli chocolate chips or the chocolate bars in the candy section.
I’m talking about the bars of chocolate that you find in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
If I can find it, I use the Ghirardelli 70% Cocoa Bittersweet Chocolate bars but if I can’t find it I’ll grab the 60% cocoa version.
Any good, high-quality chocolate bar will work in this recipe.
It’s all about the flavor that you prefer.
We like dark chocolate so that’s why I pick up a chocolate bar with a higher cocoa content.
The chocolate will melt much better if you chop it into bits before you heat it in the microwave.
I use a knife to chop the bar diagonally into really fine pieces.
If you’re short on time, you can just break the chocolate bars into squares with your hands.
You’ll just have to have to keep stirring until all the chocolate smoothes out.
Key to Success #2 – No Mixer Required
You will not need an electric mixer to make these Air Fryer Chocolate Lava Cakes.
After the chocolate and butter are melted, you can add the rest of the ingredients and stir well with a spoon.
The powdered sugar is mixed in first. This will give your chocolate mixture a chance to cool before you add the eggs.
If you add the eggs straight into the hot chocolate mixture, you might end up with scrambled eggs.
After the eggs, you’ll add the flour and the salt. Stir just until the flour is thoroughly mixed in.
You don’t want to overmix the flour.
Key to Success #3 – All the Ramekin Tricks
My colorful ramekins came from Amazon and they are fantastic for these chocolate lava cakes.
You can mix and match the colors for different festive looks.
The 6-ounce ramekins will just hold all the batter for these Air Fryer Chocolate Lava Cakes.
If you have smaller ramekins, you may need to divide the batter between more than 4 ramekins and you will probably need to decrease the cooking time.
If you grease the ramekins well with butter or cooking spray, your lava cakes will slide right out.
I’ve never had a problem with the lava cakes sticking inside the ramekins.
After the cakes are finished cooking, I let them rest at least 5 minutes then turn them over onto a plate and give them a good shake.
Even if you leave them to cool longer, they should slide right out.
I have even put them in the refrigerator overnight then warmed them up in the microwave and they still slid right out.
How good does that chocolate lava look? YUM!
Save this Air Fryer Chocolate Lava Cake recipe to your favorite Air Fryer Desserts board or your Chocolate Lovers board!
- 2 pkgs (3.5 oz each) dark chocolate baking bars, (60-70% cocoa recommended)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F. Spray four 6-ounce ramekins with cooking spray.
- In large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and chocolate that has been broken into pieces. Microwave on high power in 30-second intervals, stirring well in between, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from microwave and stir in powdered sugar until well combined. Add in eggs and egg yolks and vanilla. Stir well.
- Gently fold in flour and salt until just combined. Evenly spoon into prepared ramekins.
- Cook in preheated Air Fryer for 9-11 minutes, until outside is firm and inside is still moist and soft. Remove from Air Fryer and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto small plate then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Try reducing eggs by 1 whole egg
- Omit salt
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 807Total Fat: 56gSaturated Fat: 23gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 269mgSodium: 625mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 9gSugar: 45gProtein: 15g