Salted Peanut Chews are perfect for those salty-and-sweet fans out there. They start with a cake mix cookie base that is topped with a marshmallow creme layer and crowned with delicious peanut butter topping full of salted peanut and Rice Krispies cereal.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Make the Cookie Crust
The base of these Salted Peanut Chews is a cookie crust made with a butter recipe cake mix.
It’s super simple and adds a lot of flavor to the crust itself.
Just stir the cake mix in with some melted butter and an egg and it’s ready to be pressed into the bottom of your baking pan.
I always make bars and chews in a metal baking pan that has super straight sides and tight corners.
My favorite pan to use is a USA Pan 9X13-inch baking pan.
These pans are naturally non-stick and all my recipes bake up beautifully in them.
One of my best tips is to line your pan with parchment paper.
Make sure you leave enough parchment paper overhanging the sides so that you can use it as a handle to remove the bars from the pan when they are completely cooled.
Removing the bars from the pan makes them so much easier to slice evenly.
Key to Success #2 – Add the Marshmallow Creme While the Crust is Warm
As soon as the crust comes out of the oven, it’s time to spread the marshmallow creme all over.
The easy way to do this is to spoon little dollops of marshmallow all over the top of the crust then use the back of the spoon to spread it to the edges.
Making a lot of little dollops means you won’t have to spread the marshmallow creme as far and risk messing up your crust.
This is a great tip to keep your Salted Peanut Chews neat.
Key to Success #3 – Use Whole Roasted Peanuts in the Topping
To really take these Salted Peanut Chews over the top, load them up with whole salted peanuts.
The peanut butter flavor is loaded with both salted peanuts and Rice Krispie cereal for a little bit of texture.
If you have extra time, you can chill the base and marshmallow creme layers before you add on the topping.
This will allow your layers to be more distinct.
I usually just go ahead and add the topping and spread it over the marshmallow creme layer as best as I can.
These Salted Peanut Chews are pretty rich and chewy so I would suggest cutting them into small pieces.
Save this Salted Peanut Chews recipe to your favorite Peanut Candy board or your Christmas Candy board.
For the Base
- 1 pkg butter recipe cake mix, or yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 7 oz marshmallow creme
For the Topping
- 2/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 12 oz peanut butter chips
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13X9-inch baking pan with parchment paper then grease well.
- In medium bowl, combine yellow cake mix, melted butter and egg. Press into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-16 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately spread marshmallow creme over the base. Cool while preparing topping.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt together corn syrup, butter, vanilla and peanut butter chips. Heat, sitrring often, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir in peanuts and Rice Krispies. Immediately spoon warm topping over marshmallow creme, spreading to cover the top.
- Chill until completely cool. Cut into bars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g