Cola Cake is a moist and delicious cake that brings all that yummy cola flavor you could ever want. This classic recipe has bubbly carbonated cola in both the cake batter and the frosting for an extra punch of flavor.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Boil the Cola and Butter
For the Cola Cake batter, you’ll start by boiling the cola and the butter in a medium saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
Don’t forget to stir it often as it comes to a boil.
Once it starts to boil, remove the pan from the heat and pour it over your dry ingredients.
Stir the cola mixture into the dry ingredients then add your buttermilk and eggs.
Stir in the marshmallows last.
Key to Success #2 – The Magical Marshmallows
The Cola Cake batter will be thin with the marshmallows floating on the surface.
Spray the baking dish and pour the batter into the dish.
Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
While the cake bakes, this is when the marshmallow magic happens.
The marshmallows will disappear into the light and fluffy cake, leaving nothing behind but rich flavor.
Key to Success #3 – Wait to Make the Frosting
When the cake comes out of the oven, it’s time to make the frosting.
Do not make the frosting ahead of time.
You want to pour the hot frosting over the cake as soon as the frosting is ready and while the cake is still warm.
If you make the frosting ahead of time, it could become too thick to pour over the cake.
You want it to still be pourable so wait until the cake is fully baked before you make the frosting.
This Cola Cake Recipe is from my Grandmother Evelyn’s recipe drawer.
I’ve updated the recipe slightly in this blog post.
The image below is the original recipe.
Save this delicious Cola Cake recipe to your Cake Board or your Retro Recipes board.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cola
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
For the Cola Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 Tbsp cola
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9X13-inch baking dish.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt. Over medium heat, bring the butter and cola to a boil. Add to the dry mixture.
- Add buttermilk, eggs, and marshmallows. This will be a very thin batter with the marshmallows floating on top.
- Bake 45-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
To Make the Cola Frosting
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, cocoa and cola. Bring mixture to a boil. Pour over powdered sugar and mix well. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread over cake while hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 670Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 491mgCarbohydrates: 97gFiber: 2gSugar: 77gProtein: 6g