Air Fryer Spicy Mac and Cheese Bites are a kicked-up version of the original. Slap Ya Mama seasoning blend adds loads of flavor in every bite and the Air Fryer makes this recipe super simple.
Key to Success #1 – Freeze the Mac & CHeese balls
Freezing the mac and cheese balls is a non-negotiable step.
This recipe won’t work without freezing the mac and cheese.
Freezing allows the mac and cheese to hold together in balls.
A medium-sized cookie scoop is perfect for forming the mac and cheese balls.
Just scoop them straight from the container and gently place the balls on a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper in your freezer-safe container.
I use a plastic storage container to freeze my mac and cheese balls.
With my side-by-side freezer, some of my sheet pans do not fit well.
You will want to freeze the mac and cheese for at least an hour until it is firm to the touch.
Key to Success #2 – Press the Breadcrumbs firmly
After the mac and cheese balls are frozen solid, it’s time to start dipping them.
Gather your ingredients and two small bowls.
In one bowl, beat your eggs and add in your milk and salt, then mix to combine.
In the other bowl, add the breadcrumbs and seasonings and stir it all around a bit.
Now it’s time to dip the mac and cheese.
Dip each frozen ball into the egg mixture then into the breadcrumbs.
Press the mac and cheese into the breadcrumbs so that they adhere together.
Some of the breadcrumbs may fall off when you place the mac and cheese bites into the air fryer basket but it won’t hurt anything.
Key to Success #3 – Lightly Spray With Olive Oil
Before you place your mac and cheese bites into the air fryer, be sure to spray the basket with olive oil to prevent sticking.
Place the mac and cheese bites in the air fryer, making sure the sides are not touching.
I have a 5.7 QT Air Fryer and I could fit seven bites in my air fryer at one time.
(NOTE: The Air Fryer that I have is no longer sold but this Air Fryer is Editor’s Choice and has over 1,500 5-star reviews on Amazon.)
Once you have your mac and cheese bites in the air fryer basket, give them a light spray with olive oil to ensure that you get a nice crispy crust.
I use these spray bottles that work great with the air fryer.
I do not recommend using those commercially prepared non-stick sprays with the air fryer.
They tend to cause a buildup of grease on the basket that does not wash off easily.
Save this Spicy Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites recipe to your favorite Air Fryer board.
- 1 container (20 oz) refrigerated macaroni and cheese -or- 2 cups leftover macaroni and cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs, plain
- 2 1/2 tsp Slap Ya Mama seasoning blend, divided
- olive oil
- Stir 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning into macaroni and cheese. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined pan. Freeze at least 1 hour, until firm.
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- In small bowl, combine beaten eggs and milk. Add 1/2 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama. Whisk to combine.
- In separate bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs and 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama.
- Dip each frozen mac and cheese into the egg mixture then into the breadcrumbs. Place into basket of air fryer, making sure the sides do not touch.
- Spray lightly with olive oil. Cook at 360 degrees F for 15 minutes, until mac and cheese bites are golden brown and crispy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 22 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g