If you’re looking for a dessert that is sure to please, look no further than this delicious Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. This moist and flavorful cake is made from ripe bananas and topped with a creamy and rich cream cheese frosting. Not only does it look amazing, but it tastes just as wonderful. The perfect combination of sweet and tangy, this banana cake with cream cheese frosting is sure to be a hit with everyone who tries it!
This decadent banana cake with cream cheese frosting is the perfect treat for any occasion.
Made with a moist and tender banana-infused sheet cake with creamy and fluffy cream cheese frosting, this simple but decadent dessert will have everyone coming back for more.
And the best part?
It’s quick and easy to make!
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Lots ‘o Ripe Bananas
One of the key ingredients to banana cake is plenty of bananas.
You’ll want to use 1 1/2 cups of bananas in this banana cake recipe.
That’ll be about 3 or 4 medium-sized bananas.
Your bananas should be very, very ripe.
The riper your bananas, the more flavorful your cake will be.
I like to use bananas that are heavily spotted and starting to get soft.
Mash up three bananas then put the mash into a glass measuring cup.
If it’s not 1 1/2 cups of bananas then mash up another banana and add it.
You don’t want to add more than 1 1/2 cups of bananas or your cake will not turn out as tender.
Key to Success #2 – Correct Temperature is 275 degrees F
I know it’s an unusually low baking temperature but 275 degrees Fahrenheit is the correct temperature for this banana cake.
It cooks low and slow.
In my oven, the banana cake bakes for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
I would suggest setting your timer for 1 hour and 10 minutes then check with a toothpick to see if just a few moist crumbs clinging to the toothpick.
If it’s not cooked through, continue baking and check it every 10 minutes or so.
Key to Success #3 – Tangy Cream Cheese Frosting
The cream cheese frosting really takes this dessert over the top.
I like my cream cheese frosting to be thick and tangy so I use a full 8 oz package of cream cheese and no milk to thin it out.
Use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and the cream cheese.
Then mix in the vanilla extract and slowly start adding in the powdered sugar.
You may think it’s not coming together but just keep mixing.
It’ll eventually come together into a thick, creamy, and delicious frosting.
This Banana Cake is a real treat.
The cream cheese frosting is just so thick and delicious that I could eat it with a spoon.
Try it with a big glass of milk.
Pin this Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting image to your favorite Banana or Cake board.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a great dessert to take to your next potluck. The cream cheese frosting is so decadent and tangy.
For the Banana Cake
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Grease and flour 9X13-inch cake pan.
- Mash bananas and mix with lemon juice. Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Mix in half the flour, the salt and baking soda. Add in half the buttermilk. Repeat, mixing only until combined.
- Gently stir in bananas. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 275 degrees F for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- After baking, immediately place cake in freezer for 45 minutes then remove and let cool completely on the counter before frosting.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting
- In medium bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese using electric mixer. Add in vanilla then slowly add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Try reduce sugar in cake to 1 cup
- Try reducing butter in cake to 1/4 cup and adding 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 650Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 544mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 1gSugar: 69gProtein: 7g
Nutrition Information Provided For Educational and Informational Purposes Only.
Check out these other fantastic recipes from GraceLikeRainBlog.com.
Check out these other related recipes at GraceLikeRainBlog.com
The Best Cinnamon Rolls With Thick Ooey Gooey Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Creamy Dreamy Banana Cream Pie
Blueberry Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling
Friday 11th of June 2021
I noticed the directions tell the baker to preheat to 350 but to bake at 275. Is there a special reason for this or is this simply a typo? :-)
Friday 11th of June 2021
Thanks for catching this. Yes, it is a typo. The correct preheat and baking temperature is 275 degrees F.