Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites are the perfect air fryer appetizer. They are easy to make and so crispy and golden delicious. You need these cheesy snacks in your life.
Key to Success #1 – Freeze the Mac and Cheese Balls
Freezing the mac and cheese balls is a non-negotiable step.
This recipe won’t work without freezing the mac and cheese.
Freezing allows the mac and cheese to hold together in balls.
I use a medium-sized cookie scoop to form my mac and cheese balls.
Just scoop them straight from the container and gently place the balls on a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper in your freezer-safe container.
I use a plastic storage container to freeze my mac and cheese balls.
I have a side-by-side freezer and some of my sheet pans do not fit well.
You will want to freeze the mac and cheese for at least an hour until it is firm to the touch.
Key to Success #2 – Double Dip
After the mac and cheese balls are frozen solid, it’s time to start dipping them.
Gather your ingredients and two small bowls.
In one bowl, beat your eggs.
Next, add in your milk and salt. Finally, mix to combine.
In the other bowl, add the breadcrumbs and seasonings and stir it all around a bit.
Now it’s time to dip the mac and cheese.
Dip each frozen ball into the egg mixture then into the breadcrumbs.
Press the mac and cheese into the breadcrumbs so that they adhere together.
Some of the breadcrumbs may fall off when you place the mac and cheese bites into the air fryer basket but it won’t hurt anything.
Key to Success #3 – It’s All About the Air Frying
Before you place your mac and cheese bites into the air fryer, be sure to spray the basket with olive oil to prevent sticking.
Place the mac and cheese bites in the air fryer, making sure the sides are not touching.
I have a 5.7 QT Air Fryer and I could fit seven bites in my air fryer at one time.
Once you have your mac and cheese bites in the air fryer basket, give them a light spray with olive oil to ensure that you get a nice crispy crust.
I use these spray bottles that work great with the air fryer.
I do not recommend using those commercially prepared non-stick sprays with the air fryer.
They tend to cause a buildup of grease on the basket that does not wash off easily.
Pin this Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites recipe to your favorite Air Fryer board or your Easy Snacks board.
- 1 container (20 oz) refrigerated macaroni and cheese -or- 2 cups leftover macaroni and cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- olive oil
- If needed, season your macaroni and cheese with salt and pepper. Drop spoonfuls of seasoned macaroni and cheese onto parchment paper-lined pan. Freeze at least 1 hour, until firm.
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- In small bowl, combine beaten eggs and milk. Add 1/2 tsp salt. Whisk to combine.
- In separate bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, 1 tsp salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Dip each frozen mac and cheese into the egg mixture then into the breadcrumbs. Place into basket of air fryer, making sure the sides do not touch.
- Spray lightly with olive oil. Cook at 360 degrees F for 15 minutes, until mac and cheese bites are golden brown and crispy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 22 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g