Caramel Brownies are rich, fudgy chocolate brownies made from scratch that have a layer of caramel in the middle as well as a decadent caramel drizzle on top. We’re not holding back on this one! It’s over-the-top indulgent for sure.
Caramel Brownies combine my favorite flavors into one delicious dessert.
Not only are we drizzling the caramel sauce on top of these fudgy brownies, but we’re also adding a layer of caramel right in the middle.
If you prefer milk chocolate, you can also substitute milk chocolate chips for semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Disclosure – I may get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Key to Success #1 – Make the One-Bowl Brownie Batter
The brownie batter for this Caramel Brownies recipe is the same one we use for our family-favorite fudgy brownies.
It’s a great one-bowl recipe that is super simple to whip up.
And turns out much better than any boxed brownie mix that I have ever met!
You can make these Caramel Brownies from scratch without ever getting out your mixer.
Use a wooden spoon to stir together the batter.
Don’t overmix the batter. Only stir until the batter comes together and the dry ingredients are fully moistened.
The chocolate chips are optional in the brownie batter, but go ahead and throw them in there.
Has anyone ever regretted a little extra chocolate in their brownies?
I don’t think so!
Key to Success #2 – Add the Caramel Layer in the Middle
For the caramel layer in the middle of these Caramel Brownies, we’re using the Kraft Caramels that come in little square candies
You can also find the caramels made by Brachs sometimes. Either one will work.
You will need two 10-ounce bags of the caramels, but you will have some leftover.
Unwrap 50 caramels and place them in a small microwave-safe bowl along with 2 tablespoons of milk.
Heat the caramels on high power for 30 seconds at a time until the caramels are fully melted and smooth.
Be sure to stir the caramel sauce after every 30-second interval to ensure that it doesn’t burn or boil over.
In a greased 9×13-inch baking dish, spread half of the brownie batter all the way to the edges of the pan.
Next, drizzle the caramel sauce all over the brownie batter.
The caramel sauce is going to be too sticky to spread with a spoon so do your best to drizzle it evenly over the brownie batter.
The caramel sauce does not have to completely cover the batter though.
It doesn’t have to be perfect.
Finally, evenly pour the remaining brownie batter on top of the caramel.
You can gently spread the brownie batter over the caramel layer if you need to do so.
Key to Success #3 – Cool Before Adding the Caramel Drizzle
After the brownies come out of the oven, allow them to cool about 30 minutes before you drizzle the caramel sauce on top.
Allowing the caramel brownies to cool a bit will ensure that your caramel drizzle stays on top of the brownies and doesn’t melt into them too much.
Melt 15 caramels with 1 tablespoon of milk for the top of the brownies.
Use a spoon to drizzle the caramel all over the top of the brownies.
Again, it will be very difficult to spread the caramel on top of the brownies so do your best to evenly drizzle the caramel for maximum coverage.
You do not have to completely cover the top of the brownies with caramel drizzle.
You can leave a little bit of the brownie peeking out to add interest.
One parting tip – butter your knife before cutting these Caramel Brownies.
And use a sharp knife.
The caramel on the top of the brownies tends to be very sticky and hard to cut through without making a mess of things.
Buttering your knife before cutting the brownies helps a lot to get a clean slice.
Save this Caramel Brownies recipe to your favorite Brownies and Bars board or your Caramel Desserts board.
- 6 Tbsp cocoa powder + 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 50 caramels
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 15 caramels
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, use a spoon to mix cocoa and oil. Add butter and melt in the microwave, 1 minute on high power.
- Cool slightly. Add sugar and eggs, stir well.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the chocolate mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 13x9-inch pan.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt 50 caramels and 2 tablespoons milk on high power for 30 seconds at a time, stirring often, until caramel sauce is melted and smooth.
- Pour caramel sauce evenly over brownie layer. Spread remaining brownie batter over caramel.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool about 30 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine 15 caramels and 1 tablespoon of milk and heat on high power for 30-second intervals, stirring often, until caramel sauce is melted and smooth.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over brownies. Cool completely before cutting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 4g
Nutrition Information Provided For Educational and Informational Purposes Only.